This privacy notice for visitors ("Privacy notice") applies to the B&R Group, i.e. B&R Industrial Automation GmbH, Austria and any company in which B&R Industrial Automation GmbH directly or indirectly holds a majority interest or owns or controls the majority of voting rights. B&R Industrial Automation GmbH is in turn part of the ABB Group (a 100% subsidiary of ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd.). The B&R company whose business premises you enter during your visit, or on which you are staying as a result of an invitation from B&R (event, contract negotiations, etc.) or for the purpose of providing a contractually agreed service (hereinafter referred to as "B&R"), is responsible for processing your personal data and controls its use in accordance with this privacy notice.
At B&R, protecting your personal data is a top priority. This privacy notice explains how we process your personal data and what rights you have in relation to your personal data.
1. Who is responsible for processing your personal data?
B&R Industrial Automation GmbH and all B&R subsidiaries are responsible for your personal data. In accordance with applicable data protection laws, the person responsible for processing your personal data is the B&R subsidiary on whose premises you are located and which communicates with you. Furthermore, other B&R subsidiaries may receive and process your data, either as the data controller or the data processor. Accordingly, this privacy notice applies equally to them.
In your case, B&R Industrial Automation GmbH, B&R Strasse 1, 5142 Eggelsberg, Austria or the respective company affiliated with B&R Industrial Automation GmbH will decide, as the "responsible party" within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") and the Austrian Data Protection Act or other applicable national data protection laws at the headquarters of the respective subsidiary, for what and how your personal data will be used in accordance with this privacy notice (hereinafter also referred to as "B&R", "we" or "us").
2. What kind of personal data do we collect and process?
We collect and use personal data that concerns you in connection with the relationship with you. We may collect the following categories of personal data:
- The business contact information you share with us: name, title, job title, email address, business address, telephone number, mobile telephone number.
- Additional information you provide to us in the course of our business relations, such as: interests in B&R products, communication preferences, registration information provided at events, fairs, contract or order data, invoices, payments, business partner history, etc.
- Information that your browser provides when you visit a B&R website: IP address, source of your website visit, time spent on the website or a specific page, links clicked on, comments shared, browser type, date and time of visit, etc.
- To the extent necessary to fulfil our obligations, data obtained from publicly accessible sources or which are legitimately transmitted by other third parties (e.g. a credit agency): commercial register data, association register data, creditworthiness data.
If you wish to obtain information about a specific data processing activity, this can be requested from www.abb.com/privacy.
3. Why do we use your personal data?
We may use your personal data as described above for the following purposes:
maintain and cultivate our relationship with you;
invite you to our events;
to organize meetings between you and our executives;
send you communications in case you indicate your interest in receiving such information (such as press releases about financial results, services, products, initiatives and invitations to events or meetings etc.); and
conduct and facilitate surveys.
We collect only the personal data from you that we need for the purposes described above. For statistical purposes, improvement of our services and testing of our IT systems we use anonymized data as much as reasonably possible. This means you can no longer be (in)directly identified or singled out as an individual using this data.
4. On what legal basis do we process your personal data?
We use your personal data for the purposes described in this notice based on one of the following legal bases, as applicable:
- We will ask your consent for the activities described in this privacy notice when required by applicable law, for example communications materials and events; or
- We will rely on our legitimate interests to process your personal data within the scope of the professional relationship with you or your company or your organization. Our legitimate interests to collect and use the personal data for this purpose are management and furtherance of our business or relationship with you.
You may obtain a copy of our assessment of why we may process your personal data for these interests by submitting a request at www.abb.com/privacy.
5. Who receives and processes your personal data (within and outside the EU and EEA)?
As part of a global corporation, we have business relationships with companies in the B&R Group and external service providers, both within and outside the European Economic Area (EEA), which we may also use to process your personal data.
In this regard, your personal data may also be made available to companies of the B&R Group in countries within and outside of the EEA for the aforementioned processing purposes. In addition, when processing your personal data for the aforementioned purposes, we may use external service providers as data processors (e.g. facility management or security companies). They are generally used with binding instructions within the framework of an existing contractual relationship and receive your personal data only to the extent and for the period of time required to provide the service.
We are committed to a high level of data protection within our company in order to ensure that your personal data is protected in accordance with the GDPR (as described below).
Companies and subsidiaries affiliated with B&R
List of the B&R subsidiaries.
The purposes stated in this privacy notice
B&R business partner
EU and non-EU
The purposes stated in this privacy notice
EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA (global)
IT services, administrative services for the reception and facility, security services or other service providers working for B&R
Potential or actual buyers of B&R business units or assets
EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA (global)
For the evaluation of the companies or assets concerned or for the purposes specified in this privacy notice
Recipients required according to applicable law or legal proceedings, such as law enforcement agencies or other authorities
EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA (global)
Where required by applicable law, due to legitimate requests from public authorities or legal requirements
6. How long do we process and store your personal data?
Based on mandatory legislation, B&R must keep certain personal data for a minimum period of time. We only keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the purposes described in this privacy notice.
At the same time, applicable data protection laws require that we do not keep personal data in an identifiable form for any longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the personal data is being processed. Through implementation of IT applications and policies we ensure that your personal data is deleted when we no longer need it.
For more information regarding specific retention periods that apply to your personal data, please submit a request at www.abb.com/privacy.
7. Which rights do you have with regard to your personal data?
If you have questions about data protection, complaints about how we are handling your personal data or wish to exercise the rights of data subjects listed below, you can contact us at www.abb.com/privacy. Under certain circumstances, we may have to restrict these rights of data subjects in order to safeguard the public interest (e.g. the prevention or detection of criminal offenses) or our business interests (e.g. maintaining legal privilege). Should you not be satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data unlawfully, you may also contact the Data Protection Authority in your country of residence or work or in which you believe the data breach may have taken place in accordance with your right to lodge a complaint per Art. 77 of the GDPR. In addition to your right to lodge a complaint, you also have the following rights:
- Right to information: In accordance with Art. 15 of the GDPR, you have the right to receive information from us regarding your personal data that we process at any time upon request (in text form). This right is limited by the exceptions of Art. 4 (6) of the Austrian Data Protection Act, according to which the right of information is not applicable in particular if the provision of this information would endanger a business or trade secret of the data controller or of a third party.
- Right to rectification: In accordance with Art. 16 of the GDPR, you have the right to request that we rectify your personal data without delay if it is incorrect. This right is subject to the restrictions set out in Art. 4 (2) of the Austrian Data Protection Act, according to which, in the event that the correction of personal data processed with the aid of automation cannot be carried out immediately because it is only possible at certain times for economic or technical reasons, the processing of the personal data in question must be restricted with the effect of Art. 18 (2) of the GDPR until this point in time.
- Right to erasure:: You have the right to request us to delete your personal data under the conditions set out in Art. 17 of the GDPR. These conditions are particularly met if a) the respective processing purpose has been achieved or otherwise ceases to apply, b) we have processed your data unlawfully, c) you have withdrawn your consent without the data processing being able to be continued on another legal basis, d) you successfully object to the data processing or e) in cases where there is an obligation to delete the data on the basis of EU law or the law of an EU member state to which we are subject. This right is subject to the restrictions set out in Art. 4 (2) of the Austrian Data Protection Act, according to which, in the event that the deletion of personal data processed with the aid of automation cannot be carried out immediately because it is only possible at certain times for economic or technical reasons, the processing of the personal data in question must be restricted with the effect of Art. 18 (2) of the GDPR until this point in time.
- Right to restrict processing: In accordance with Art. 18 of the GDPR, you can request that we only process your personal data to a limited extent. This right exists in particular under the conditions that a) the accuracy of the personal data is disputed, b) you request limited processing instead of deletion under the conditions of a justified request for deletion, c) the data is no longer necessary for the purposes we pursue, but you need the data to assert, exercise or defend legal claims, or d) the success of an objection is still disputed.
- Right to data portability: In accordance with Art. 20 of the GDPR, you have the right to receive your personal data that you provided us in a structured, common, machine-readable format, as well as the right to have us transfer this data to another data controller.
- Right to object: In accordance with Art. 21 of the GDPR, you have the right to object at any time, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of your personal data, either in the public interest or to safeguard our legitimate interests. Thereafter, we will stop processing your personal data unless we can prove compelling reasons for processing your personal data that are worthy of protection, which outweigh your interests, rights and freedoms or unless such processing serves to assert, exercise or defend legal claims. If you object to the processing of your personal data for marketing purposes, we will stop processing your data in any case.
8. Updates to this document
This Privacy Notice may be updated from time to time as a result of required developments. In case of such updates, we will undertake necessary actions to inform you about them depending on the importance of changes done. If and where required by applicable laws we will also ask for your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes describing our up-to-date practices. Please check the "date of publication" to see when this Privacy Notice was updated.
Date of publication: February 15, 2021